Don’t Piss Off Popular People Part II: Sarah Silverman

By: Bobby Finstock on 02/16/10 @ 8:14 am

Besides Smith’s blowup this weekend Sarah Silverman spoke at the ultra exclusive TED conference. (It costs 6K for a conference pass and really big name people speak at it.) Silverman did what she normally does and laid down some uncomfortable comedy including that she wanted to adopt an adult retard. Basically the whole premise was her taking shots at Sarah Palin who slammed Rahm Emanuel for using the word retard but said it was okay for Rush Limbaugh to use it because he uses it satirically. Of course the crowd of executives and power brokers didn’t get the joke and people got offended and complained about it, including the founder of the conference who slammed Silverman on Twitter.

Silverman fired back on Twitter, where she has close to half a million followers, and then the former AOL CEO jumped in and went after Silverman who tossed this back at him:

“@SteveCase You should be nicer to the last person on earth w an aol account.”

What I don’t get is didn’t they know what they were getting? Have they never seen one of her acts? She is absolutely filthy. (And beautifully so.) And why would egg this person on publically when tossing insults is what they do for a living? In the end how are you going to come out ahead?

This reminds me of the Colbert performance at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. How did the person that books the event not know whom they were booking?

So this begs the question should the company that books the person know what they are getting into? Or should the person booked play to the audience and change their act?

What do you think?

13 Responses to “Don’t Piss Off Popular People Part II: Sarah Silverman”

1. David says:

Obviously the “star” will typically tailor their material to the audience but the promoter is an idiot for booking someone at such an event without knowing the star’s shtick and style.

Promoter: FAIL

2. Nina says:

“You should be nicer to the last person on Earth with an AOL account.”

That was lovely.

3. Patty Punker says:

no question: know the event you’re booking for. that’s your job. otherwise i could do it. and the talent should do their thang. even if it’s beautiful filth, maintain your integrity. go sarah!

4. Byron says:

Know what you are booking. The artist might tame down the routine to take into account the audience, but not change the act.

5. LOTNorm says:

How did I miss this one? I was on top of the Kevin Smith thing, but I missed this one entirely.

I want people to keep booking Sarah Silverman (and others) to things they “shouldn’t” be booked for and it would be a good publicity move for organizations to do so. I mean, sure, the guy looks like a moron, but look how many people are talking about him and TED.

6. Kim Shannon says:

The battles some people choose to fight… *sigh*

If they’d pull their heads out of their asses for a few moments and REALLY LISTEN, they’d find her ironic sarcasm as hysterical as I do. LONG LIVE SARAH SILVERMAN… she takes the “Ew” out of “hairy jew”.

7. Bree says:

I said this on Facebook already, but I think people should put on their big kid pants and take it in the ass. I mean, take it like men. I mean.. take it.

8. Witty Sam says:

Fools… they are damn fools. Book someone like Sarah Silverman – what did they expect??

Noone should change who they authentically are. This pisses me off man!! I am not going to rave on – cause I am so darn passionate about the need to be who we all really are. I have fought my entire life against people who have told me to be someone that I am not or try to make be feel bad for being who I was born to be.

It has taken me 34 years to accept myself as the wacky, left-of-centre wonderful person I am. And I accept others for who they are.

Sarah Silverman is awesome… we don’t get that much of her in Australia except for her show on Foxtel. Very awesomely funny!! I love it that it’s so wrong!!

9. Psycho Bitch says:

I’m lost…

10. Kiki says:

thanks for posting this. i think sarah s. is amazing and they are nimrods for not knowing her brand of comedy. did they not see her video, “I’m F***ing Matt Damon?” she’s genius. no comedian should ever have to change their bit for the audience. however, i watch Kathy Griffin’s reality show and they had an episode where she did her bit in front of kids and it didn’t go over well. i think with that age group, she should’ve edited it a little, but the organizers should’ve known that she was not the right act for the venue. take care.

11. Nathan says:

I just don’t get why they booked Sarah Silverman in the first place. She’s famous for being inappropriate. It would be like getting Uncle Ruckus at a Black Panther meeting.

12. idl3mind says:

Sarah Silverman FTW

13. Chater says:

Sarah’s an unfunny moron. I think less of TED now for actually allowing her to conduct her own presentation.

© 2010 Pointless Banter - All Rights Reserved || Designed: E.Webscapes || Social Media Consulting: Comedy Central Sound