Where the hell did cutting come from?

By: Bobby Finstock on 10/8/09 @ 8:17 am

Teenage angst wasn’t invented in the last two decades. It has been around for centuries I am sure. Sacajawea probably was afraid that Lewis and Clark didn’t like her teeth or was pissed that her mom didn’t make her the right moccasins. I imagine she kept a diary on deerskin writing about her evolution into womanhood, her sexual desires, and whatever boy band is popular at the time.

why don't boys like me?

why don't boys like me?

When I was a young buck coming up through the “system” I remember girls that tried to overdose on Advil, that wore frumpy sweatshirts because they were ashamed of their bodies, or fucked every guy that moved (except me) to gain some sort of acceptance that daddy wouldn’t give them. However I don’t remember any girl or anyone ever talking about cutting. Sure maybe someone occasionally put a cigarette out on their arms like any reasonable person but nobody was whipping out their Hello Kitty lunchbox full of razors and carving up their inner thigh. It seems like it has come about really in the last 10-15 years and I honestly don’t get it.

If you look into the history of self-mutilation this has been discussed since 1880 and even categorized into different variations in the late 1970s but I wasn’t aware of it happening so it must not have happened. (I call this my virgin theory. As far as every girl I date goes they are virgins because I have never watched them have sex, participate in gangbangs or service an entire Navy ship. For certain things if I wasn’t there to see it happen it didn’t… like the holocaust.)

I think the uptick of this type of behavior can be squarely blamed on TV and movies because most of these girls would have never thought about doing it. Why you ask? Because teenage girls are totally fucking stupid and have almost zero ability to think for themselves in most instances, this explains the Jonas Brothers, Twilight, and anything-involving Ricky Martin for the first half of his life.

I can’t imagine a 15 year old girl sitting at home bathing in self loathing and then think, “Hey why don’t I go downstairs, grab a razor, and cut my inner thigh.” They aren’t that creative unless they are cutting up a Seventeen magazine and making a collage. Instead they see a movie like Secretary or watch an idiot on the Real World that gets hammered and decides to cut herself for attention. (Of course the example girl’s completely psycho behavior, desperate need to have constant attention, and everyone’s complete hatred of her is often glossed over… or is it?)

So I say to various media outlets that you need to change how you portray female teenage angst. Here is what you should try to emphasis instead of cutting.

1) Promiscuous behavior is a completely acceptable way for self-validation.

2) If you have problems overcoming your self-hatred to act in a promiscuous manner you should totally look into drinking heavily so you can prepare yourself.

3) Eating disorders are okay just don’t get too thin. Exposed ribs aren’t sexy.

4) Self-mutilation isn’t okay because guys don’t like scars.

(Or maybe there should be less glorification and more honest discussions about it… eh… What fun would that be?)

I should have been a guidance counselor.

19 Responses to “Where the hell did cutting come from?”

1. JT says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Kudos, sir.

2. Lauren says:

I’ve read your blogs for months but never comment so I’m breaking my comment virginity on this one.

I used to be a cutter. When I was 19-which is worse than 15 b/c I couldn’t blame it on teenage angst, just plain stupidity.

Back then (because I’m old) it wasn’t in the media like it is now. But your absolutely right. Who would think of cutting themselves on their own? The movie Girl Interuppted gave me the idea, I think. Then I tried it and it became my outlet. But I certainly didn’t talk about it, didn’t think it was cool and made sure not to do it bad enough to leave permanent scars or require hospitalization. I see kids now who wear razor blades for necklaces, like its something to be proud of and that makes me sick (but luckily that REALLY helps my eating disorder, haha) not funny? dang. ;)

I’m less confused about where cutters come from than I am about those nutshows on Maury Povich who are deathly afraid of things like neckties or parrots or whatever. Then they bring out some parrots wearing neckties and everybody goes apeshit nearly pissing themselves.

4. LittleMissRidinghood says:

It’s called Borderline Personality Disorder. Be careful it’s catching on, a trend in the last 15-20 yrs. Too bad I cry at the sight of blood, well my own at least. Maybe they could cut other people instead, a Darwin like idea. That’s a better trend. Ok, maybe not. Off to find my Hello Kitty stash.

5. Meeee says:

I started SIing on my own, but moving to actually cutting was probably because I got the idea from somewhere.

6. M says:

I watched a movie on USA once that was about a girl who cut herself to sort of drain the pain, but I never did it like that. In fact, I’m not even sure why I did it then. Depression, yes, attention from some, yes, others, no. As far as doing it later on, I actually just liked the scars (not on my wrists, though, I didn’t want others to see them, just me). Judge me if you will, but I like neat little rows of scars.

7. Rick says:

I cut myself, but only because I prescribe to 18th Century medical practices. I’ll beat these mild headaches, dizzy spells, and anemia one day.

8. Ich says:

It is a release of pain and emotion that people could not do other wise because they are not “understood”, at least that’s what it used to be before it was “cool”.

9. Rick says:

This is what happens when you stop selling cigarettes to teens.

10. C says:

Oh Bobby. You’re a beacon of light for American youth.

By the way, I’m not slowing down on reading your blogs, I’m just too lazy to comment sometimes… so I propose you put a feature in, sort of like fbook’s “like” things, or youtube’s thumbs up/thumbs down. Except, cooler. Instead of thumbs up it could be a thumbnail of like… a beer clink, or a boobie flash. And you could make the ‘thumb’s down’ a picture of a hairy ass or something. I don’t know. You wouldn’t really need one anyway.
    Anyone else in favour? :)

11. Uncle Finstock says:

This blog reminded me of the Glen Close character in Fatal Attraction…they inflict pain unto themselves as to not hurt the one’s they love, are obsessed over or can’t achieve their total love and/or interest…sounds alot like someone we know and dislike immensly…good blog (seeing that you thought of this and I didn’t, I’m going to ginsu my loins………after dinner)

12. Sal Minella says:

My 5th grade teacher saved me from self destructive behavior. Each time I got caught she would shove me under her desk as punishment, diverting my attention with high heels and short skirts.

She was an Ann Margaret clone and the year was 1965.

I occasionally dream about her doing lap dances at some assisted living center.

© 2009 Pointless Banter - All Rights Reserved || Designed: E.Webscapes || Social Media Consulting: Comedy Central Sound