My Favorite Gifts From Growing Up

By: Bobby Finstock on 12/24/08 @ 8:03 am

Merry Christmas!!!!!!! And if you are Jewish have a god day going to the movies or whatever it is you guys do on this day.

One of the best things about Christmas is having my nephew around to watch him go ape shit over toys. The pure excitement and rush he gets is kind of fun to watch. Also I have to admit that I like playing with some of them. Last year I think I played Wii for three days straight.

Here are my favorite gifts from growing up.

5) Anything Construx related

I never got into Lego’s because the sheer amount of pieces it took to build anything big was disgusting. However I loved me some Construx. Coming from a single parent household that didn’t have a lot of money Construx allowed me to build whatever the hell I wanted as a toy. I remember one year my spoiled ass cousin got the GI Joe Aircraft Carrier which was the expensive and hot gift for Christmas. After seeing it I went home and spent hours building my own out of Construx it was over six feet long and was much cooler.

4) Millennium Falcon

millennium falcon

When I was five this was the one toy I wanted more than anything in the world. I remember getting it for my birthday and the pure excitement of it. Star Wars toys used to come with stickers that showed “battle damage”. I remember regretting putting those stickers on my X-wing and refusing to do it on the Millennium Falcon. That might have been the largest decision I made in my life at that point.

3) A Team Double Cross Jump Race Set

My Uncle and Aunt got this for me one year. The cars did u-turns and there were jumps on the track. What more could you ask for?

2) A Desk

I had a lot of stuff and for some reason I wanted a desk to put all my stuff in or on. My friend Todd had an awesome roll top desk with lots of drawers and I think it inspired for me to ask for a desk for Christmas. I would sit down at it and organize all my baseball cards for hours. I still can’t get over how excited I was for a piece of wood.

1) My Red Wagon

One of the first memories I have is of me waiting for a red wagon on my birthday and my parents being in the hospital with the premature birth of my sister. When they brought her home from the hospital they did so in the red wagon, which made me lose my shit because I thought they were giving it to her. (And I have hated that bitch ever since.) I hauled everything in that wagon for years.

What was your favorite gift while growing up?

35 Responses to “My Favorite Gifts From Growing Up”

I always wanted a roll top desk… I thought it was so fancy!

2. Charlotte says:

Uh, for Christmas I think, and such as, that most of the US and South African education, and such as, build up for the future… we need more US maps… oh and Iraq and such as

3. The Rocketman says:

It’s thrilling to finally know, after two decades of feeling alone, that someone else had Construx (or even knows what they were), loved them, was poor, and built their own toys from them. I had a huge popcorn tin of these containing hundreds of pieces. I especially liked mixing the green (from the military-themed sets) and the black (from the alien sets) to build planes for my GI Joes with dozens of superfluous motors, engines, jets, and the like. If you bent the pilot’s knees just right, they fit perfectly in the elongated cockpits. And the coolest part about that was, unlike the ‘real’ GI Joe planes, you could crash them and break the shit out of them for a real battle damage effect – with panels and twisted metal everywhere! Try doing THAT with your ‘real’ F14 out of the box and see how long it lasts!

On this point, I think the rich kids (like my cousin, who also got the huge aircraft carrier) really missed out.

• You are the third person that I have talked to ever including my friend Kris (also poor) that knew of or had Construx.

I had to say that I loved the tank treads from the military set I incorporated them into just about everything that I made in someway or another.

Also you are totally right about the longer cockpits and putting the action figures in there. When I discovered that I could do that I think it increased my general happiness by 25%.

• The Rocketman says:

I did the same thing, and made extensive use of the battery pack, and got all manner of creative with rigging the rubber bands and pulleys to have as many moving parts on everything as possible. I actually used my allowance to do everything short of buying stock in D-cell batteries to keep that thing running.

• Em Em says:

Are you kidding? My Mom still has a small suitcase of Construx from my three brothers growing up, (yeah, we were poor too). What I can’t seem to find is anybody else that knows what pop-oids were. She also still has my original red wagon which is the same one from the picture. We call it the OG Flyer since it’s the actual metal kind and not those sissy plastic ones that are “safer” for kids, ha.

• LightGrenade says:

I think I may have been too poor even for Construx. I got tater tots for Christmas. Tater tots and government cheese.

4. Sabrewolf says:

My favorite gift growing up was my dog, walked into this little Amish pet store next to a Wal-Mart, got a little mutt puppy (lab/shelty/german shepherd) that weighted 3 lbs at 6 weeks old (and is now 70 lbs), and I have had her 11 years and counting!

And I got a sleeping bag for my birthday when I was 6, that was the only thing I wanted as I didn’t like sheets. I still hate sheets to this day.

5. Topeka Stink Pickle says:

If I say “Cabbage Patch Doll”, does that make me gay?

6. A green machine..That thing was like a big wheel, but more chances for a spinning death on the icy sidewalk:)..You built a GI Joe aircraft carrier? You had some serious Construx skills:)

• Spinning death is always a good bonus.

I built some insane Construx stuff as a kid easily the one thing I spent the most time doing during the winter. I was like the last kid I knew to get any type of video game system. (Nintendo) I never was allowed to have an Atari or anything like that.

It is probably a good thing… it really made me be creative for my entertainment.

7. Ketie says:

when i was 8 i wanted to be a policewoman so i asked my parents to get me a BB gun and they did! we lived in a third world country were giving a kid a gun [real or not] is socially acceptable. good times.

Merry Christmas to you. :)

8. Arjewtino says:

Oh dear fucking Christ I loved Construx.

The Hanukkah I got Construx was the same one when my dad found out I hadn’t read my book for a book report that was due when we went back to school.

He grounded me to my room and wouldn’t let me play with my Construx.

9. Tits McGee says:

I’d say my first cabbage patch doll except it was one of those homemade ones, so she was fuggin’ huge and she had these teeny little knots sewn on her chest as titties.
    Those dolls are worth money now believe it or not.

And all the gifts we wanted but were always a “hell naw” from our dad: trampoline, gocart, four wheeler, three wheeler.

Merry Christmas, Bobby Finstock.

10. I seem to recall my favorite Christmases were ones where I got a giant pile of books, (one banner year, the Complete works of William Shakespeare AND the Lord of the Rings box set) or new eyeshadow and a Michael Jackson album.

My dad used to be the manager of a Kiddie City, back in the days before Toys R Us. I was allowed to ride all the demo big wheels and pedal cars up and down the aisles while they counted out the registers after closing. You can do some mean 360s on a waxed linoleum floor. Getting to do that was better than having one at home.

11. Laura says:

>have a god day going to the movies or whatever it is you guys do >on this day.

Hahahahahaha, excellent typo! (Or is it?)

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

12. Melissa says:

Ah! All I wanted for Christmas was roller skates and a Rainbow Brite doll. I was poor and never heard of Construx… Hm, is there a chance I was too poor for Construx?! :)

Merry Christmas, Kevin.

13. PsYcHo BiTcH says:

14. Karl Rove says:

Nintendo. Enough said.

• Mallory says:

I still have my original nes system.. and the Super Nintendo. I put them away in storage for a long time, then finally found them when I moved. I swear I was awake for a week straight playing duck hunt.

15. Trisha says:

I know that’s not the only piece of wood you’ve gotten excited over.

16. Tori says:

My dog, for sure. She was the goddamn cutest puppy in the entire universe and we were completely surprised. Granted, I was 6 and my sister was 4, so I doubt it was hard to fool us, but still.

We were spoiled though, so we got a lot of cool shit. We had this kitchen thing with fake burners and a sink and a coffee maker, etc. I sort of wish I still had that. Never did get a Barbie jeep though.

17. gail says:

2 words barbie tent. i cant remember if it was my sisters christmas presnt or mine but that shit was fun

18. shawn says:

“I still can’t get over how excited I was for a piece of wood.”

lmao, the drunken mistakes section could have taken on an entirelly different direction.

19. Jeff says:

Atari 2600, bitches

20. Jessica says:

I can remember getting the Super Nintendo for Christmas one year, and then getting into trouble for trying to sneak and play “Duck Hunt.” (My parents were poor, but unlike every other couple in Alabama, they had something against guns.)

And another one that I really wanted and only hated because my sisters all got the same thing for Christmas that year…. FURBIES!!!!

21. Love is the geatest gifts of all for the rest theres is MASTERCARD :)