The 5 Comedy Movies That Influenced Me The Most

By: Bobby Finstock on 09/12/08 @ 7:12 am

Rolling Stone came out with their comedy edition this week. In it a bunch of comedians tell their favorite joke, their favorite movie, TV Show, etc…

First I wanted to share Robin Williams joke because I thought it was the best one in the issue.

Guy’s having sex with his wife. All of a sudden he looks over, and there in the doorway is his son, about eight years old. Kid looks horrified, and the kid runs away. The guy says to his wife, “Well, I’d better talk to Timmy.” He puts on his clothes and goes to Timmy’s room. He opens the door, and there’s Timmy nailing Grandma. The father goes, “Oh, my God!” And the kids goes, “Not so funny when it’s your mom, is it?”

Also besides that I wanted to share the top five comedy movies that have influenced me while growing up. I always wanted to do this but I just figured that everyone had seen these movies. It wasn’t until I was trying to figure out my pen name that I noticed a lot of people had no idea what these movies were. Also if you have only seen these movies cut or on regular TV… you really didn’t see the movie.

1) Blazing Saddles (1974)

This movie could never be made today. It couldn’t even be written. It makes fun of race, sexuality, gender, and it flat out offensive but it might be the funniest movie ever made. When I watched it the first time I not only hyperventilated from laughing so hard.

2) Caddyshack (1980)

Hands down the most quotable movie ever made. It is amazing to see Chevy Chase actually being funny. You listen to him talk today on talk shows and he is just a shell of his former self. Also this is well before Bill Murray took himself way to seriously with painfully drab roles.

3) Beverly Hills Cop (1984)

This was the first rated R movie I ever watched. My mom was out of town and my uncle was watching me and he rented it. I clearly remember feeling horribly naughty for watching this and I felt like I was getting away with murder. While I wouldn’t say this is Eddie Murphy’s best movie of the 80s it was just my first… we all remember our first.

4) Half Baked (1998)

I am not a stoner or anything but I have probably watched this movie fifty times at least. And each time I see something different that I never noticed before that is absolutely hilarious. This is the first movie that is a comedy that I ever have just picked apart finding layers of comedy to it.

(Note: I debated about putting this on here. Animal House originally held this spot but I felt like it fell into the category of Blazing Saddles and Caddyshack. I can’t speak highly enough of Animal House and the work of John Belushi.)

5) Eddie Murphy’s Delirious (1983)

In the late 80s I started to be aware about standup comedy. One of the kids that lived on my street thought Gallagher was the funniest thing ever. He had videotapes of Gallagher and would watch it all the time. While I thought it was funny I wasn’t bowled over. Then one day he got his hands on Delirious and I was just amazed, I must have watched it 7 times in the first two weeks. Watching it afterschool where my parents wouldn’t know about it.

I watched it a few weeks ago and I believe that it totally holds up.

What comedy movies influenced your sense of humor?

29 Responses to “The 5 Comedy Movies That Influenced Me The Most”

1. JT says:

Spaceballs, hands down. This was back when people knew how to make spoof movies.

2. chris in canada says:

good call on your picks Bobby Finstock, especially Blazing Saddles — and JT’s pick of Spaceballs is brilliant

my choice is Fast Times At Ridgemont High – not necessarily my favourite all time comedy but it gives me the excuse to say “dude”

3. chris in canada says:

I remember now… CHEECH & CHONG’S UP IN SMOKE (thought their was a vaild reason why I forgot the title)

4. Taylor Blue says:

Caddy Shack was awesome…it’s funny how you can turn on that movie and still laugh 50 years later… :)

5. Destiny says:

Clerks. My roommate made me watch that when we used to work together at a Wilson Farms. Adam Sandler flicks, especially Billy Madison. Robin Hood Men in Tights, Anchorman, Clueless, Superbad… I actually don’t watch a whole lot of movies. I love stand-up though! Eddie Izzard, Brian Regan, Jim Norton, Denis Leary, Lewis Black, I like lots of different comics. My sense of humor is all over the place.

6. Erin Happycamper says:

Blazing Saddles….best comedy of all time!

Especially if you can catch all the racial jokes, and I’m not just talking about the African American types…..

Excellent. Caddyshack is always my go to flick! I must watch it a dozen times a year. I might throw ‘The Jerk’ on my list, or ‘Airplane’.

8. your uncle says:

Young Frankenstein (actually, Madeline Khan in this, Blazing Saddles and History of the World are classic vamp roles)

Try and watch Richard Pryor’s “Live in Concert” (I’ll send it to you if need) before he went off the deep end with the coke…it’s him at his best and before Eddie Murphy

9. Young Frankenstein is up there, but I love The Jerk as an all time fav.
    Blazing Saddles is up there for sure too.

10. AngieSS says:

I agree with your list completely. I would also add The Big Lebowski, The Jerk, and National Lampoon’s Vacation.

11. Jeff says:

Animal House, Airplane, The Blues Brothers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Anchorman.

12. Jeff says:

Oh, and The Big Lebowski.

13. Melissa says:

Clue, Murder By Death, Stripes, Animal House and the Blues Brothers.

14. Another Government Employee says:

Excellent choices.

I’ll substitute “Young Frankenstein” or the original “Producers” (Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel) for “Blazing Saddles”. But you have to admit. Mel Brooks really had a run of movies for about 20 years.

For Standup-I have to go to “Live on the Sunset Strip”.

And finally, as much as love Caddyshack, I will replace it with the Peter Sellers classic “Dr. Stranglove (or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb).

15. Charlotte says:

Cheesy, but Army of Darkness! (I haven’t been able to tolerate Bill Murray in anything other than Caddyshack.)

16. Kari says:

Anything Python, Abraham/Zucker (Kentucky Fried Movie is genius, Airplane, the first Top Gun), most of the movies John Landis directed (Blues Brothers, Kentucky Fried Movie, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, Coming to America), Ghostbusters, some of Mel Brooks’s movies (Blazing Saddles, History of the World, Spaceballs, Men in Tights).

17. Alejandro says:

Dude where is my car, is one of the funniest movies i ever saw.
    History of the world is also great!
    sure there is lots more.

18. Robot Monkey says:

Anything by the Pythons, the Marx Brothers, Bob Hope/Bing Crosby, Airplane!, Jack Benny and masters of animation at Warner Brothers. As far as stand up goes, the first stand up I remember hearing that had an effect on me was probably Bill Hicks.

19. Snake says:

The first movie I ever saw that made me hyperventilate was “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.” My baby bro and I saw it from the balcony and I kept worrying that we would fall off. Even though I was a preteen, I MAY be dating myself. . . .

20. klekle says:

my favorites of all time:

The Blues Bros
    The Princess Bride
    History of the World Pt 1
    I’m Gonna Get You Sucka – gold fever baby!

as for standup anything with
    Eddie Murphy
    Bill Hicks
    Chris Rock
    Mitch Hedberg

and though some may judge me – I really like Kathy Griffin

21. LightGrenade says:

Interesting you went with Delirious over Raw. “Whatcha cryin bout?!”.

The first time I saw Blazing Saddles, I was a kid of like 10, when you could rent VCR’s from Blockbuster in those giant suitcase things. Memories.

22. nemo says:

hey, i think those r the outdated films. the movie i like most is mr.bones. do u all like this?

23. nemo says:

i am sure that u all will enjoy these movies
    mr.bones,liear liear ,death at the funeral, pinapple express……