May

Why this election needs to carry on forever

By: Bobby Finstock on 05/7/08 @ 7:06 am

By now I think every single person on the face of earth is sick of the race for the White House and we haven’t even gotten to the general election yet. While I am completely annoyed of the over analysis, I still want this race to carry on forever. Why you ask?

Last night on MSNBC Pat Buchanan was talking about the prospects of Hillary Clinton staying in the race and said something along the lines of “Hillary needs to ask herself if staying in the race and whipping Obama with the white vote in Kentucky and West Virginia is worth it.”

Anytime you mention “whipping” and it involves an African American there is a certain level of discomfort in the air. You kind of felt that on the set last night for a second, nobody wants to acknowledge it but you can tell they all noticed it.

This is an example of how the primary has turned into the most uncomfortable political process ever.

Moments like these are happening daily on just about every cable news show and I love it. Last week I was watching one show where they were talking about the Jeremiah Wright fallout. The African American pundit on the show told rest of the panel that they couldn’t understand this because they didn’t go to a black church. Rest of the panel just kind of shut up for a second and there was an uncomfortable silence until the host asked a follow up question.

The problem for the other pundits is that there is no retort to that comment, which makes watching these shows at least 25% more entertaining. You can’t say anything disparaging about females or blacks at all, which has all of these talking heads on edge.

amy holmes

Plus this election needs to go on forever to keep the black female pundits around. I fear that they will all be out of jobs once this is over because a lot of these ladies came out of nowhere. You know early in the campaign in an executive office at a cable news channel there was a meeting that went like this:

News Producer: There is an African American running for President and a woman. We need to make sure that we have each type of pundit on our shows.

News Producer 2: What if we get a pundit that is black AND female.

News Producer: There are people that are like that? Do we need to go on an expedition to Africa or something?

News Producer 2: No I am pretty sure they live here in the United States.

It seemed like overnight that the 24/7 news networks were trotting out their very own black female pundit. Some even went so far as to get two.

MSNBC Guy 1: Fox and CNN each got a black female pundit.
MSNBC Guy 2: Well we need two!

And the black female pundit arms race began.

Plus if it continues on we have better odds of Buchanan combining the two and saying something like, “I don’t see the point of another debate. It is like picking cotton while having your wife spend time in her natural habitat… the kitchen.”

Then and only then will I be ready for this election to be over. Both feet will finally end up in someone’s mouth.

Are you ready for this to be over?

This is going up at humor-blogs.com

30 Responses to “Why this election needs to carry on forever”

1. marjorie says:

I’m ready for it to be over, ever since it started. What cracks me up about this whole election thing, is the assumption that every black male person is just voting for Obama. And every female person is voting for Hilary. And if you don’t do your voting like that, you don’t care about the election process.

• Kevin says:

Wait isn’t that how it is? Damn you media.

• marjorie says:

Actually when I voted , I had a women telling me that I was a bad example for all the young voters because I wasn’t on Hilary’s side. Quite interesting when her husband told her to just sit down, and be quiet.

2. kate says:

i want it to end but until it does i’ll have fun laughing at all the ignorance that is in the air. a lot of hidden racism is finally showing it ugly head in some people.

• Kevin says:

Oh that is a whole ‘nother level of entertainment.

• MRT says:

I encountered this less than an hour ago. My boss (who is a 6-figure-income earning white man just one year shy of 60) said “This is off the record of course, but if I’m honest, I don’t think a woman is capable of running this country, and the only reason Obama is still in this race is because of his race. If that’s the best the Democrats have to offer, then it’s just more evidence that we need a guy like McCain in office.”

After a futile glance around the room for hidden cameras – or possibly for Amy Poehler and Seth Meyer to jump out of a cubicle and confirm it actually WAS Saturday Night – I just walked away.

3. mistaken says:

I’ve been ready for this to be over.
    :}

• Kevin says:

Well just think after it is over the losing party will probably have people declare for the next election and start campaigning right away.

Buchanan, you just know he is going to live to be 100 like Strom Thurmond. I’m all for uncomfortable moments…Between that and my Countdown to Bush’s last day in Office Calendar they are all I have left in this whole annoying process.

5. chris in kingston says:

Hell yeah; but it should be re-invented and branded MTV-style as a realty series and bring in guest appearances by Hulk Hogan, Ron Jeremy, a foul-mouthed comedian and a few strippers.

6. chris in kingston says:

with The Pointless Banter’s Kevin as host ^_^

7. WILLIAM POIRIER says:

THE REAL THOUGHT TODAY IS:BLACKS HAVE BEEN DYING IN THE WARS OF THE USA,,,BLACKS HAVE BEEN PAYING TAXES,,,BLACKS HAVE BEEN LIVING HERE FOR CENTURIES,,,,THEY HAVEN’T BEEN BLOWING THEMSELVES UP,,,,THEY HAVEN’T BEEN DONE ANYTHING LIKE GIVING CLASSIFIED DOCUMENT TO A FOREIGN COUNTRY,,,,THEY DON’T SAY WE SHOULD DEFEND A FOREIGN SOIL WITH ALL WE GOT…..SO IT TIME WE GIVE THE BLACKS A CHANCE….I AM WHITE,,,60 YEARS OLD,,,,AND AM VOTING FOR OBAMA

8. scott says:

This whole Democratic Primary is a waste of time! It doesn’t matter who gets the Democratic nod. John McCain is clearly going to win in the 2008 election. Lets face the facts this country is not ready for change!!

• Kevin says:

I have decided to go with the “things aren’t that bad until they impact me directly” thought process… It really is the best way to go

9. Daniel says:

>>>black female pundit arms race

Do they have the right to have bare arms in this race you speak of?

10. Melissa says:

Wait! It could get better yet…What if Hilary loses and then goes onto the Independent ticket ala Perot and it continues yet another few months? :D

• Kevin says:

Lol… she doesn’t have that much money in the bank… but that would be interesting… Just pure chaos.

11. James says:

I like that Black Female Pundit. I first saw her on Bill Maher. She can talk politics all she wants while shes sitting on my face.

12. Pentad says:

Naw, I’m kinda enjoying it, although it is a circus. Liked the post!

13. damon says:

Hell no! I too, am absolutely lovin this! You have hit the nail on the head with this gender/racial war. I just wish they’d pre-empt that American Idol crap for another good debate.

When all of this is said and done, I wonder if anyone will remember who McCain is.

14. Cree says:

Seriously… can I get an AMEN? I can’t even blog about it right now when every other word is GAWD. And I love politics!

15. Chris C says:

No way! But being a political humor columnist for Radioactive Liberty I might be biased. Sometimes I wonder what the hell I will write about when this is over in November.