Nobody Really Watches the Super Bowl for Commercials, Right?

By: Bobby Finstock on 02/4/08 @ 7:27 am

For those of you who live under a rock or outside of the United States the Super Bowl was last night. Now being a football fan and a gambling addict, I enjoy watching the Super Bowl no matter who is in it. However every year I get super annoyed by one thing, people that say they watch the Super Bowl for the commercials.

For the longest time I thought this was a creation of the media, where they promote the commercials as an event in order to get people to watch the crap that is being sold to them. Well, I thought that until the other day I should say when I was at the airport and heard someone say, “I only watch it for the commercials.” Part of me wanted to walk over to her, slap her as hard as I could in the face, and mutter, “You lying whore.” But the fact she was traveling with four guys probably would have made the situation a painful one for me.

Cindy Crawford

So she sits through a four hour sporting event being bored for over half the time to watch some mildly funny commercials that will be aired throughout the rest of the year? Okay… I mean I am not one to tell you what to do with your time, I spend most of my day trying to figure out if I think Miley Cyrus is going to be hot or not when she becomes legal but really can’t you find something better to do with your time? Like cutting your toenails when they are dry and trying to catch the nail as it snaps up in the air.

Seriously though this is the equivalent of going to the movies and really just paying attention for the Fandango ad. “Yeah we went and saw Juno last night, I was really there to see if they have a new Fandango ad, I really love those paper bag puppets.” Do you know anyone that does that? Neither do I.

Now if you are reading this and have said in the past that you only watch the game because you want to see the commercials you can now take this time to reconsider your actions and reevaluate what you should do during the Super Bowl next year.

Here are some options:

-Try to teach yourself to projectile vomit on command. You never know when that skill is going to come in handy.

-Reorder your cds in some inane order, like by record label or color. Why? Because it is fun, well probably not but it is more constructive than watching something you don’t like just so you can talk about some crappy things trying to sell you stuff.

-Remove all the labeling off of your canned goods and try to guess what is inside them.

-Contemplate the existence of mankind and why bumping into teachers outside of school is one of the most uncomfortable things you deal with?

Next year I hope I don’t hear anyone saying they watch the Super Bowl for commercials, okay now I gotta get back to the game, I can’t wait to see if they replay the Justin Timerblake commercial.

Have you ever heard anyone say that they watch the Super Bowl for commercials and do you believe them?

Filed in: Pop Culture

22 Responses to “Nobody Really Watches the Super Bowl for Commercials, Right?”

1. Cigar smoking beer drinking lawyer says:

There are ads? I guess I am too busy getting more beer and chips

2. Kikisue says:

I will admit I have made that statement. However, going to superbowl parties my main motive is to hang with friends, not to watch the game. I will admit that I do perk up when the commercials air. However. while the game is on I am talking with friends and not watching the game anyway. I think it is what most girls who are watching the game with their guys do. But now with your suggestions next year I will reorder my cd collection.

3. Isha, Aiyisha...whatever the f*ck you wanna call me. says:

I actually cant remember one commercial from last night. I can only remember my friends yelling at me for being a traitor because I’m from NYC and I’m a Pats fan. And then to get shitted on when my team lost.

I’ve always heard that line,”I’m only watching the game for the commercials.” or “I’m watching only for the halftime show,” and it pisses me off. WTF is the point? They are gonna be running them for the next three months! F*ckin people I swear. If you’re not a fan, plain and simple, don’t watch, why waste your time?

4. Melissa says:

I only watch for the ads – unless the Steelers are playing. The Super Bowl is like my only party night of the year. I hang out, over-eat, watch highlights from teh game. Love watching the tackles. But the commercials are totally a high point. Last year’s Blockbuster ad was awesome. This year had some goodies but none so fun as that ad. Then again, no Steelers this year so…I’m prejudiced ;)

5. Fiona says:

I knew the super bowl was happening, I just didn’t care. What I cared about was the fact that I couldn’t get into my favourite sports bar for their amazing wings because of the stupid game of sissy rugby showing there. ;)
    I was at rehersals anyway.

6. Marjorie says:

I hear people say that all the time, and now all I have been reading about is the good ones and the bad ones, personally the commercials annoy the hell out of me. The point of the super bowl is the game, duh. And you forgot the options of drinking more booze during the time outs/ and or cooking/eating food.

7. kali says:

Cindy Crawford stayed at the same hotel that I was at in the Bahamas and she really is one of the most beautiful women on earth! I could not stop staring but I’m sure she is used to it. I just hope those high-waisted jeans do not come back into style!

8. [...] bookmarks tagged comedy Nobody Really Watches the Super Bowl for Commercia… saved by 5 others     melisischazz bookmarked on 02/04/08 | [...]

I have a friend who knows NOTHING about the game say she was only watching so she didn’t miss the funny commercials – so I insisted she TiVo it and not watch the game with ME! I’m too old to be explaining what a 1st down is, or that just because there are 35 seconds left in a game it does NOT mean we have a chance – especially someone in a Pink Brady jersey who didn’t want to miss the screaming chipmunks and half-assed Budweiser shenanigans.

And any time of year is a good time for Kegels. I’m just sayin’…

11. JW Stringer says:

Plenty of people were in tune with the commercials that aired during the game, but it seems a larger majority were likely awaiting to cash in their big prize.

“The big underdog payoff for the Giants money-line backers meant a huge loss for Vegas,” R.J. Bell of Pregame.com said.

“Some reports had over 90% of the money-line bets backing the Giants.”

12. kate says:

i watch it for both. sexy football players and stupid commercials.

was i the only one that went to godaddy.com to see danica’s beaver commercial and laughed at it?

13. Soil_Monkey says:

Ha ha ha. I don’t get that either. I usually just watch something else, and when i think its halftime, flip over to the other channel and watch the commercials. I’m not sitting through 1:30 hours of football. That’s what a control is for. Go technology!

14. country girl says:

four hours of kegels? Dang. That’s true dedication…

15. Amanda says:

I do hav to say that I enjoy the commercials more then the game. The only reason I actually watch the Superbowl (including commercials) is because it’s a huge party. Especially this year because I don’ get the chance to do much with my friends since I am 8 months pregnant. Can’t really go bar hopping with em.

Last year I quit watching halfway through so my guy and I at the time could go play tackle ourselves. The only time I have regretted missing something is when nipplegate happened. Still haven’t seen the uncensored photos.

16. Ann Clemmons says:

I’m laughing too hard and it’s making my stomach hurt – I think I started laughing too hard from the imagery of you slapping the lady in the airport followed by the ways one can fill their time with during the super bowl… you gave me some fantastic ideas, by the way. Like reordering my boyfriends cds in some insane order while he is clued to the super ball game of all ball games… also removing the labeling off of canned goods will come in handy at some point. I knew there was a reason I liked this blog~

17. Branwyn says:

Yep, that’s me. A commercial watcher. I’ll admit it. The GoDaddy commercial was dumb tho. There weren’t a lot of memorable ones this year. And did they purposely put Tom Petty on for half time just so there wouldn’t be any accidental wardrobe malfunctions? LOL. Ahhh, well, Kegel’s don’t help anyway….

18. abc chick says:

I’m just glad the Patriots got their butts kicked!!!

19. [...] Carnival – Match.com Mondays: Pau Gasol Brahsome – MW: America’s New Holiday Pointless Banter – Nobody Really Watches the Super Bowl for Commercials Bright Black Internet – Don’t Play With Fireworks on 205th – The real Super Bowl Week [...]

20. April says:

we women should do Kegels everyday of the year. Keeps the man happy with hardly any effort ;)

21. supernik says:

there was a scooby-doo marathon on at the same time, naturally i was watching that

22. Katie says:

Well it was actually a good game this year so I didn’t need to watch it just for the commercials. Go Giants. I actually just watch the super bowl for the booze and food, like every other holiday. Go Giants. Oh, and I love the Mannings…. but I’m from Tennessee so what you going to do. And Go Giants.